On the Garmin Fenix 5, 5S and 5X, and Forerunner 645, 645M (645 Music) and 935 watches you can use either dwMap or routeCourse.
We recommend you use routeCourse because then you
get all the advantages of dynamicWatch for route planning and downloading, with the built-in
map feature on these watches.
Using dwMap on your Garmin Fenix 3/5, Chronos, D2 Charlie/Bravo, Forerunner 230/235/645/735XT/935 or Descent Mk1:
- Install the dwMap app to your watch from the
Garmin Connect IQ Store
- The Garmin software may tell you that you need to update your firmware, even when you think you have the latest version.
In this case, undock your device and see if it installs new firmware that it has downloaded. Then redock the device
and try installing our app again.
Powering-off your device and back on again may also be necessary to get the new firmware installed and running.
You can check what your device is actually running by going to Settings - System - About.
- On the 230/235/645/735XT/935, apps are found on the Activity menu, by pressing the top-right button when on the home (watch face) page.
- When you start the watch app the first time you will be shown a link code to enter
If you get error code 1 or 2 on your watch during this step, make sure that your watch
is connected by Bluetooth (not Wifi) to Garmin Connect Mobile running on your phone (iPhone or Android [Windows Phone will likely not work]), and that your phone and watch can get online.
After entering the code on the website, press Up on the watch to continue.
- From then on, when you start the app it will show its Map view.
This shows your current active route, at four zoom levels.
- Use the Up/Down buttons on your watch to zoom in/out.
- If the app can get online via your phone, it will download your current active route. Otherwise it will continue
to use the most recent route that it has.
You can press-and-hold the Up button and choose Refresh at any time that your phone is online.
This will download your current active route and your other Watch Settings.
- Your current position and direction of travel is shown as an arrow, allowing you see whether you
are on-course, and when to turn next. No more getting lost or stopping to check a map!
- If you are currently off the edge of the map, the arrow will still show your direction of travel,
but will be drawn at the edge closest to where you are, with a circle around it.
- If you have chosen Track-up in Watch Settings then the map will rotate
so that "up" on the screen is your forward direction. A rotating "N" on the left of the screen will point north.
Otherwise, you will be in North-up mode where north is always "up".
- Where you were most recently will be shown with a trail of "breadcrumb" dots.
- If you do not want to use a route for the current activity, press-and-hold the Up button and choose Delete Route to remove
the current active route from the watch. If you still have a current active route chosen on your route list
you can download it again to the watch with Refresh.
- Press the Start/Stop button on your watch to start your activity. This uses the built-in GPS recording
system of your watch, and will appear in your history and sync with Garmin Connect just like any other
activity. Press Start/Stop again to pause/resume.
- The app also has a Dashboard view to view your current activity stats.
Use the Up/Down buttons to move through the map zoom levels then through the Dashboard pages.
- At the end of your activity, press Start/Stop to pause, and press the Back-Lap button, and choose
the Save option to leave the app.
If you have upgraded to
you will have additional navigation features, including notifications for upcoming turns and if you go off-route.
See dwMap Premium Features Help.